Copyright November, 2013. Updated November, 2021 Sharon M Downing. All rights reserved.
Vegan Pumpkin Pie Tarts
PIE CRUST – Makes 1 large pie crust or 12 pie tarts
- 2 cups Quinoa Magic Flour
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup Cremosa Vegan Butter or vegetable shortening
- 8 tablespoons ice cold water
Directions: Blend flour and salt in large bowl. Add butter or shortening and use fork to cut butter into flour mixture until well combined and crumbly. Stir in enough cold water with fork until dough sticks together. Cook’s Note: Do not add all the water at one time. Knead with hands until a smooth ball is formed.
Cook’s Note: Lightly spray each muffin well with cooking spray and generously dust with flour. This will prevent tarts from sticking. Use cookie scoop to evenly distribute doughballs into each well. Use thumb to press down on doughball so that it forms a pie crust shape inside each well. Cook’s Note: Dip thumb into flour to prevent dough sticking to your thumb. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Do not fill shells with filling. Place empty pie shell pan in the oven and blind-bake for 15 minutes. Remove pan from oven and allow empty shells to completely cool. Do not remove shells from pan. Cook’s Note: Do not roll out dough if using for large pie pan. Press dough into place. You will tank me.
Fill each cooled crust to the top of pie crust with pumpkin pie filling. Sprinkle lightly with granulated sugar. Bake in a preheated 300 degrees F oven for about 20-25 minutes until almost set. Remove and let come to room temperature. Refrigerate until completely chilled. Cook’s Note: Do not remove tarts from pan until completely chilled. Otherwise, you may risk your tarts falling a-part. Best if chilled overnight. Refrigerate all leftovers.
VEGAN PUMPKIN PIE FILLING
- 1 15oz. can of pumpkin puree
- 1 cup pumpkin seed cream – FOR VEGAN CREAM: Grind 1 cup raw green pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds) in a Vitamix or similar. Add 2 cups hot water and blend until smooth (about 2 minutes). Do not strain
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter of choice
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon quality pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 tablespoons Quinoa Magic Flour
Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix with electric hand mixer or wire whisk until smooth.